A Tale About Caffeine


By Kim Marquardt, RN MSN

This blog post is from the Nurse Kim archives of myth busting. I want to share some "alternative" or maybe just lesser known health and wellness viewpoints for you to chew on.

*These posts are not intended as official medical advice.

They ARE meant to be fun, informative, and thought provoking, hopefully sparking an interest for you to do your own research (you can start with the links I provide!) and discover the marvels of the human body, and how it can function at its optimal performance level if we understand how it works and interacts with our environment and our diet.

I have a passion for health and wellness through lifestyle and nutrition and have done thousands of hours of research in addition to being a registered nurse for 23 years. I have done A LOT of self-experimentation in and around diet, lifestyle, body care, and supplementation and have spent a lot of time looking into the science behind it all (or lack thereof!). Check back weekly for the latest post!

----- 

I love coffee, we’ll start with that. 

I love the smell, the taste, the ritual, and the warmth (I don’t believe in cold coffee even in the middle of summer, lol!).

I also am in the camp of believers that coffee carries actual health benefits. In addition to the obvious energy and mental acuity boost that most people know and love it for, it also may reduce your risk of Type II Diabetes, protect against Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s, decrease your risk of depression, support liver and heart health, enhance athletic performance, and finally, could even increase longevity. That is QUITE the list! It is also well known for being one of the most powerful antioxidants in nature.

HOWEVER…

Something happened that made me give up coffee (or more so caffeine) forever.

I quit coffee for 6 months last year just to see how I would feel (ya’ll know how much I love a nutrition/dietary personal experiment) and also to see if my wild energy was really me or if it was the coffee. I have never been a huge coffee drinker. One cup in the morning and very occasionally an afternoon pick me up.

Relevant side note before we continue: 

I have had pretty intense situational anxiety over the last 10 years or so. My fears/worries are in and around accidents/injury. There is a lot more to that, but we will keep it simple for the purpose of this post. One of my situational anxiety triggers was freeway driving, whether I was driving or not. I would often cover my eyes when my husband was driving and wince and jump constantly every time any little thing happened. Super annoying to everyone, including myself. I could feel my heart rate and blood pressure go off the charts and pretty much had to put the kibosh on any long-distance travel in the car because I just couldn’t handle it.

I never in a million billion years would have thought any of this was related to caffeine intake. I feel like it makes sense when you think about it, but I also feel like anxiety related to caffeine intake is not something broadly talked about, probably due to our general societal love for (and dependance on) caffeine and the huge role it plays in our lives.

One day after about a week off coffee, I was driving down the freeway on my way to the San Elijo campus to work (the driving of course something I dreaded every time I had to go down there), and all of a sudden, I realized I was in the middle lane, going 75 miles per hour. I know this does not sound like anything significant to you all. But when I tell you I NEVER got out of the slow lane and NEVER went over 60-65 miles per hour on the freeway, believe me, I mean NEVER.

And here I was, acting like a “normal” person just driving along, and weirder, I still noticed all the other little things that go on with drivers on the freeway... this person changed lanes too close to a car, or that person is weaving in and out of traffic, but NONE of it was giving me the stomach in my throat, dizzying unease I had been experiencing for so long.

My anxiety had been turned off like a light switch.

It was SUCH A HUGE deviation from how I normally felt, I thought it must be a fluke thing and didn’t understand what was happening. I told myself it was probably just an odd moment, and I would be a nervous wreck on the ride home per usual.

Well guess what.

I wasn’t.

I was calm, collected, and relaxed. WHAT THE!!??

And then I made the connection… it was because I was off caffeine. This was the change I had made, and these were the (totally unexpected) results.

But alas, because I am slow on the uptake… after 6 blissful anxiety free months, I read something about coffee being good for the thyroid (having had thyroid labs that weren’t that great) and promptly started drinking coffee again in hopes to kick start my thyroid and metabolism. I also succeeded in kickstarting my situational anxiety right back on.

So, after another year (time flies when you’re having anxiety), I decided to stop messing with caffeine for good and have now been off for a little over a week and am happy to report, back to my calm, cool, collected, freeway driving self. By the way, although that is the example I am using here, it’s not just the freeway driving, there are other areas of my life this has had a huge and meaningful impact.

It’s such a remarkable difference I can’t even tell you. And now I have done the experiment twice, so I know that’s what it is.

So… something to think about if you have anxiety perhaps? 

And the break between semesters when you are not bogged down with school might be a great time to try it out just to see.

I still enjoy my morning ritual with decaf which thankfully and surprisingly comes with a lot of the same amazing health benefits as its evil caffeinated twin 😉 listed at the beginning of this post! Yay!!

Until next semester ya’ll! Love you mean it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hiring Health Services Peer Educators!

Here’s why you shouldn’t test for COVID

Providing Support for Loved Ones Experiencing Intimate Partner Violence